One of the first crochet professionals I had the honor of getting to know was Tammy Hildebrand. So when I was offered the opportunity to do a giveaway of her new book, I jumped at the chance! Crochet Wraps Every Which Way features 18 original patterns using 6 different techniques.
I had the chance to ask Tammy some questions about her new book:
1. You’re known for your beautiful lacy garments. What inspired you to do a book of wraps? Shawls and wraps are the perfect design to learn and practice new stitches and techniques because you don’t have to worry about gauge or a lot of shaping or sizing. They are timeless pieces and so easy to wear that you just can’t have too many!
2. Is there a type of yarn (weight, fiber) that you think works better for wraps? It would depend on what kind of wrap you are making. For lots of drape and movement a thinner yarn with a fiber such as bamboo is going to work really well but if you want something a little more sturdy and solid, an acrylic or wool probably would work best.
3. The wraps in the book use so many different techniques from motifs to hairpin lace to tunisian crochet. Is there one technique that’s your favorite? My favorite is always lacy motifs. It doesn’t matter if I’m making a shawl, a sweater or an afghan, I love join-as-you-go motifs.
4. What was the most fun part of working on this book? I really enjoyed all aspects of creating this book. Since it was the first one I’ve done it was very new and exciting! I loved having so many different techniques to keep things interesting. It was also my first experience with organizing photo shoots. I have known my model since she was in fourth grade, her mother who is a dear friend handled all the styling and our photographer was so great to work with.
5. What advice would you give to new crocheters? Always continue to learn and try new things. Experiment with different techniques and yarns and just have fun! There are so many resources available with books, classes, video tutorials, conferences and fiber shows. I’ve been crocheting over 40 years and I still continue to learn new things.
Thanks to Stackpole Books you have the chance to win a copy of Crochet Wraps Every Which Way. Simply leave a comment on this post before Sunday, January 19th at 11:59 pm, telling me what you love about wraps. I’ll use a random number generator to pick a winner. Open to US and Canadian residents.
(Photos copyright Tammy Hildebrand)
ETA: Winner has been emailed!